Head baker - springfield, mo
About Us: We are a high-volume bakery/cafe, milling our wheat on site and producing thousands of loaves of bread a week for both our in-house café and numerous wholesale customers throughout the region. We began in 2000 and opened our second location in Springfield, MO in 2016. The role of head baker is vital to the lifeblood of our concept. We are known for our American Hearth-style breads and put a very strong emphasis on our daily production of breads, muffins and pastries. We have a strong culture of community throughout our restaurant and we value honesty, hard work, communication and fun. We’re big believers in procedures and processes so that we produce quality, consistent results every time. We also believe in the power of “why” and appreciate having thoughtful reasons for why we do what we do. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced environment and can adapt with ease to the new challenges that may appear each morning. We ask for 100% from our bakers every day and we’re looking for a strong head baker who can manage all of this and still leave each shift with a smile.
Reports to: Owner/Operator
Job Tasks (general overview):
· Efficiently plan prep and oven schedules according to production log
· Determine daily production quantities of muffins and pastries and bake bread according to pre-determined par levels, adjusting when necessary
· Oversee multiple bakery assistants, training and re-training as needed
· Create sponges, pre-ferments, and batters following Neighbor’s Mill recipes; bring dough to the table for kneading, cutting, weighing, portioning, forming and panning
· Ensure quality control, including but not limited to following recipes, preventing over/under portioning of ingredients, adhering to proof/bake times, and confirming consistency of products on daily basis
· Manage proof and bake times effectively, including having all muffins and sweets ready by store opening daily and special orders/catering orders ready on time
· Communicate regularly with owner/café manager/bakery manager to ensure consistency across entire store
· Schedule bakery assistants and maintain efficient control of labor costs
· Enforce cleanliness, safety, and sanitary work habits with all bakery assistants
· Provide routine preventative maintenance for all bakery equipment, including oven, mixers, and grain mill
· Keep accurate, thorough and organized records of production quantity and recipe changes/updates
· Test and develop new recipes regularly to produce creative, out-of-the-box bakery products for our customers
· Attend quarterly manager meetings, staff parties and holiday planning meetings as required
· Take disciplinary action with bakery assistants when necessary
Necessary Qualifications: Candidate must have passion, knowledge, and understanding of the art and science of bread baking; thorough and working knowledge of baker’s math/percentages, scaling ingredients and recipes, and converting recipes from volume to weight. Candidate must be customer-service oriented, willing to work as part of a team, have experience with and feel comfortable managing others, have excellent verbal and written communication skills and a strong commitment to excellence in their work. Candidate should also have an interest in and willingness to learn the process of milling wheat, spelt and rye. Candidate must have 3-5 years baking experience in a high-production commercial bakery or kitchen. Experience in viennoiserie and laminated doughs a plus but not required. Culinary graduate and ServSafe Certified preferred.
Compensation: competitive salaried position, paid vacation and opportunities for 401K match after one full year
To apply, please send resume and detailed cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more about Neighbor’s Mill, please visit us at www.neighborsmill.com.
we are always hiring!
Are you customer-service oriented? Do you have a strong commitment to excellence in your work? Are you a problem-solver? Then come join our team!
Download and Print our application HERE.
Bring your completed application in to any location or drop by for a copy of our application in-person.
We are always accepting applications and looking for great people to join our team.